Due to computers being a major part of everyday life, technology is essential to our lives, at home and at work. ‘Computational thinking’ is a skill children must be taught if they are to be ready for the workplace, and able to participate effectively in this digital world’. (Naace, 2013)
At King’s Ford Infant School and Nursery we aim to ensure children ‘become digitally literate – able to use, and express themselves and develop their ideas through, information and communication technology – at a level suitable for the future workplace and as active participants in a digital world’, as outlined in the National Curriculum for Computing, 2013.
Computing in the Early Years
Reception early learning goals
In the early years computing skills are learnt and experienced through topic-based activities throughout the year, contributing to the early learning goals for Technology in Understanding of the World and Physical development:
- T - children recognise that a range of technology is used in places such as homes and schools.
- T - They select and use technology for practical purposes.
- PD – children handle equipment and tools effectively.
Computing in Key Stage 1
In Key Stage 1 we use the Internet and Computer Art in order to:
- Use technology safely and respectfully, keeping personal information private,
- identify where to go for help and support when we have concerns about material on the internet or other online technologies,
- recognise common uses of information technology beyond school
We use programming toys and word processing to:
- Understand what algorithms are; how they are implemented as programs on digital devices; and that programs execute by following precise and unambiguous instructions
- create and debug simple programs
- use logical reasoning to predict the behaviour of simple programs
We learn presentation skills:
Use technology purposefully to create, organise, store, manipulate and retrieve digital content.
Useful computing websites for children to access from home, some of the content in these websites is also used by staff at the school.
Discovery Education www.discoveryeducation.co.uk